To reduce acid reflux, experts recommend three types of treatment: Postural, dietary and pharmacological.
- Do not lie down after eating and wait two or three hours before you go to sleep after dinner.
- Raise the head of your bed four to six inches.
- Lose weight if needed.
- Quit smoking.
- Avoid overeating, and instead, seek lighter and more frequent meals throughout the day.
- Avoid aspirin and most pain medicationsas much as possible.
Being on diet you have heartburn is so important, food quality is as much important as quantity.
Each case Acid Reflux must be evaluated by a trained professional, but as general guidelines can include:
- Intakes of low volume and high frequency. 5 meals a day is a good idea: breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner, it is advisable to be at least two hours before bedtime.
- Rice and bread, beans, and tofu (bean curd) can be a good help to reduce the acid and they are soft foods. Do not overdo it because too much of any food can in turn stimulate acid production.
- Eliminate foods that decrease lower esophageal sphincter pressure like alcohol, peppermint, garlic, onions, chocolate, fats and very cured fermented cheeses, champagne or white wine.
- Food temperature is also important. The excessive cold or heat is irritating to the gastric mucosa. Youmust eat temperate foods that are not as hot but cold too.
- Foods that irritate the gastric mucosa should be avoided as well like citrus juices, vinegar, tomato products, pepper, mustard, some whole grains or melon, cucumber and peppers.
- The manner that your food is prepared is also important. Raw fruits and vegetables should be peeled and seeded. The meat should not be overcooked whengrilling, and the toast crust is irritating. Boiled meats are preferred. Fried foods are generally advised against as well as spicy foods.
- White meats are less irritating than red as they are more easily digestible and less time that it stays in the stomach likelean meats and fish.
- Fats should be generally avoided. But a normal diet should contain some of them for a perfect balancedfood.
- Sweets should be avoided when in excess.
- Milk, which has been a mainstay of treatment, in fact stimulates the secretion of gastric acid. It should be eliminated from your diet, but it is advisable to consume in small quantities and fractionated.
- The crude fiber of bran in excess, strong spices and caffeine are highly irritating to the gastric mucosa.
- Alcohol is a strong advocate of acid secretion so it is generally recommended to restrict alcohol consumption to small amounts and if possible, diluted in water. Beer, in particular could almost double heartburns in just one hour.
Other changes in your habits and physical activity should be appropriate to your age and condition of the person.
Finally, a physician should advise the use or not of Common drugs such as antacids, H2 blockers, inhibitors of proton pump and some other drugs.
Acid reflux can be bad if you don’t do anything about it. If you have tried to fix it and nothing has worked you need to go to a doctor. Prevention is the best method though. Damp proofing is a method where a building become water proof in the construction phase, just like the team at damp proofing Bristol does for the construction industry. This is like acid reflux prevention as a good diet will actually prevent you from getting acid reflex. Prevention is the best method.
Herbs that may be helpful:
- Licorice: chewy licorice without glycyrrhizin (DGL) was proven to be an effective treatment for healing stomach and duodenal ulcers, but no studies have been done regarding licorice EGR.
- Ginger: Unlike drugs, no side effects – even sleepiness because its action is via the nervous system. It is also an excellent remedy for nausea, whether powder, biscuits or drinks like Ginger Ale.